Over 4000 Signatures on Petition to Save Cortes Forests
“We do have private property there, we do have the right to log," said Bill Waugh, director of planning and forestry for Island Timberlands, “But it's a beautiful forest and we’re intent on managing it.”
The petition now has over 4000 signatures, with more people signing by the minute. Cortes Island has touched many people and they are speaking up for the wild ecosystems at the heart of the Island and circulating the petition to others who care.
Cortes Island is a high profile example of the virtually unregulated logging and murky corporate ownership that is devastating BC's private managed forest lands and providing huge numbers of raw logs for export to US and Asian markets.
Read background on this issue here:
- Logging of pristine BC island forest to begin in January by Brookfield Asset Management
- MTV's The Buried Life, Zoe Miles and corporate behemoth Brookfield Asset Management stand off over trees
- MTV "Avatars" follow Zoe Miles to Brookfield Asset Management
- Will Brookfield Asset Management trash a beloved Cortes forest for cash? Linda Solomon interviews Zoe Miles: video
- Sending a message to Brookfield Asset Management on Bay Street: "Hands off BC's last old growth trees"