Message to Stephen Harper: here are ten ways to wipe out the debt and deficit
Below are ten things Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the federal government can do to wipe out the debt and deficit.
1. Tax Fairness – Ensure billionaries and the rich are paying at least the same proportion of their income in taxes as someone earning $100,000 per year.
2. National Lotto – Create a national online lottery that has huge jackpots where 100% of the proceeds go to pay down the debt.
3. Tax Deductible Donations – Allow citizens to make tax deductible donations to pay down the debt directly.
4. Luxury Taxes – Charge a luxury tax on sports cars, diamonds, gold, pricy real estate and other non-essential high cost items.
5. Targeted Inheritance Taxes – Introduce an inheritance tax on estates valued at over ten million dollars.
6. Lower Interest Rates – The Bank of Canada can reduce interest rates to stimulate the economy, increase investment, and lower domestic debt payments.
7. Junk Food Taxes – Tackle obesity and the debt by introducing a junk food tax.
8. Pollution Taxes – Introduce severe financial penalties for corporations and industry who pollute.
9. Sin Taxes – Increase sin taxes on alcohol, tobacco, and casino gambling.
10. Small Business Tax Relief – Work with the provincial and territorial governments to abolish taxes on small business which is still the engine of economic growth and job creation.
Stephen Harper also needs to put the brakes on excessive "non-essential" spending.
If you have any ideas to wipe out the debt and deficit email me at [email protected]