“Get Your Surf On” Campaign Wins Tourism Vancouver Island’s Coveted “Multi Media Marketing Award”
Destination Marketing Organization’s Board Member Honoured as “MVP”
Tofino, BC, September 16, 2014 – Tourism Tofino today announced that its 2013 “Get Your Surf On” campaign was recognized with the “Multi Media Marketing Award” at Tourism Vancouver Island’s 51st annual Gala Dinner and Awards Ceremony on September 10, 2014. Corene Inouye, a member of Tourism Tofino’s Board of Directors and Director of Operations at Jamie's Whaling Station and Rainforest Inn, was also honoured at the event with the “MVP Award” recognizing her outstanding contributions to Vancouver Island’s tourism industry.
Tourism Vancouver Island’s Multi Media Marketing Award recognizes a business or organization for its innovative use of various forms of social media and traditional marketing mediums in a specific and targeted campaignthat was successful in attracting visitors to their business or organization and the Vancouver Island Region. Previous winners include Tourism Victoria.
“When we declared October to be the official surf month on Vancouver Island, we set out to make some waves,” said Jenn Houtby, Interim General Manager of Tourism Tofino. “We are honoured that Tourism Vancouver Island recognized the innovative thinking and successful execution of our ‘Get Your Surf On’ campaign. We achieved our goals of introducing the sport of surfing to a wider variety of travellers, and of boosting the awareness of Tofino and the surrounding areas to visitors world wide.”
Launched in September 2013, Tourism Tofino’s “Get Your Surf On” campaign integrated targeted messaging, carefully designed and placed regional print and online advertising, well-planned social media activities and contests, extensive media outreach and a media invitational event. In addition, 100% of Tofino surf shops and surf schools participated in the campaign development process resulting in agreement on the foundational “4 for 3 lessons and equipment rental” offer used as the campaign’s advertising call-to-action.
“Get Your Surf On” campaign results included:
- 758% increase in views of the surfing pages of the Activities section of the Tourism Tofino website
- Advertisements in regional publications had the collective potential of reaching more than 5 million visitors
- More than 50 journalists were made aware of the campaign and more than a dozen, including journalists from VO, attended the “Tourism Tofino and Partners” media event. The campaign resulted in extensive editorial coverage in more than a dozen regional publications. Vancouver Observer covered the Queen of the Peak women's surfing competition during the campaign.
- Accommodation visitation increased +9.7% in October and +19.7% in November over the same periods in 2012 as a direct result of the targeted messaging in key short-haul markets promoting the campaign.
- Additional hotel room tax (AHRT) increased 1.3% in October and 14.5% in November 2013 compared to the same period in 2012
About Tourism Tofino www.tourismtofino.com
Tourism Tofino is a destination marketing organization (DMO) promoting Tofino’s extensive attributes, local events and hospitality industry businesses. Tourism Tofino also partners with other tourism organizations to create awareness of regional tourism initiatives for visitors worldwide.
About Tourism Vancouver Island www.tourismvi.ca
Tourism Vancouver Island is one of six regional destination management organizations in British Columbia that represent Destination British Columbia through the delivery of co-operativemarketing and community development programs. In December 2011, Tourism Vancouver Island received accreditation from the Destination Marketing Accreditation Program (DMAP) by demonstrating a commitment to quality programs and services.
Kaye Public Relations for Tourism Tofino