5 great bean sprouts recipes
Haven’t you heard? Sprouts are cool again.
With a ridiculous amount of health and environmental benefits, the super food is naturally delicious.
So, here are five recipes to get your dose, courtesy of Eatmore Sprouts & Greens:
Mixed Bean Sprout Burgers
Serve with buns and burger fixings including a variety of sprouts.
Preheat oven to 350 C. Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until thick. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Form patty shapes with your hands. Place on a slightly oiled cookie sheet and bake in the oven for approx. 30 minutes.
• 1 Onion, diced
• 2 Carrots, sliced
• 1 8oz. package Eatmore Mixed Bean sprouts
• 1 Tbs Parmesan Cheese (optional)
• 1 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
• 2 cloves Garlic
• 1/2 tsp Thyme
• 1/2 tsp Oregano
• 1 tsp Basil
• 1 tsp Rosemary
• 1 tsp Lemon Juice
• 1 1/2 cups Oatmeal
Preheat oven to 350 C. Place all ingredients in a food processor. Puree until thick. Divide dough into 10 pieces. Form patty shapes with your hands. Place on a slightly oiled cookie sheet and bake in the oven for approx. 30 minutes. Serve with buns and burger fixings including a variety of sprouts!
Spinach & Sprout Salad
Simple salad consisting of spinach, sprouts, broccoli, & chicken. Photo by bradleypjohnson via Flickr
Enjoy this nutrition-packed salad with a sweet Honey Mustard Dressing
(see below for dressing)
• 8 to 10 oz package of Eatmore Spinach (Available in the Comox Valley from May-October)
• 1 Red Pepper
• 1 Orange Pepper
• 75g Eatmore Alfalfa Sprouts
• 75g Eatmore Sunflower Greens
• 1/2 pkg Eatmore Mixed Bean Sprouts
• 1 Red Onion
• 1 Orange (sectioned & sliced)
• Optional Ingredients
• Mushrooms, Seeds & Nuts (such as Pumpkin, Sunflower, Cashews, and Poppy Seeds) and Edible Flowers (such as Chive Flowers, Nasturtiums, Violets, Calendula or Lemon Marigolds)
• Wash & spin the spinach. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the spinach and the sprouts. Prepare other vegetables and add. Top with seeds and flowers.
• Dressing Ingredients
• 1/2 cup Omega Nutrition Oil (olive, sunflower, flax, or a combination)
• 1/3 cup Omega Nutrition Apple Cider Vinegar
• 2 Tbs Dijon Mustard
• 1-2 tsp Honey or Maple Syrup
• 1/2 tsp Basil
• 1/2 tsp Oregano
• 1 Tbs Yoghurt
Whisk together all ingredients except for oil. Continue whisking and add oil slowly until combined. Toss with salad, or serve on the side.
Diamond Salad Rolls
This vegan, gluten free recipe is a refreshing summer lunch. Feel free to substitute your favourite raw veggies in this recipe.
• 1 package rice paper (can substitute large lettuce leaves to use as wraps)
• 1 package Eatmore Sunflower Greens
• 1 package Eatmore Pea Shoots
• 1 red pepper, thinly sliced
• 2 carrots, grated
• 1/2 a package smoked tempeh or tofu, thinly sliced
• Cooked kamut, spelt or rice noodles
Assemble these one at a time. In a shallow dish, soak rice paper till it is flexible. Add a bit of each ingredient on top of the rice paper, and fold it and roll it – burrito style. Be sure not to fill them too full! Serve with peanut sauce or your favourite sauce.
Mixed Bean Salsa
• 6 small-medium ripe tomatoes
• 1 green bell pepper
• 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
• 1 ripe yet firm avacado
• 1 small red onion
• Dice all ingredients and combine in a bowl with:
• 225g package of Eatmore Mixed Bean Sprouts
• 1 jalapeno pepper (optional, depending on how spicy you like it!)
• 2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
• handful of chopped fresh cilantro
• Juice of one lime
This recipe is best prepared a couple of hours in advance to allow the flavours to mingle. Remove from fridge before serving at room temperature.
Serve with organic tortilla chips or Belgium Endive leaves for dipping.
Eatmore Sprouts Salad
No rules here — just pile together a mixture of your favourite Eatmore Sprouts:
• Sunflower Greens
• Pea Shoots
• Alfalfa, Deli Blend, &/or Garlic Blend
• Mixed Beans
Eat as is or dress up with local beets, carrots, and tomatoes for colour. Add a few fresh local greens if you like and toss with your favourite dressing.
Eatmore’s suggestion like: 1/2 cup balsalmic vinegar, 1/2 cup Omega Nutrition Essential Balance oil (feel free to use your favourite oil — olive, hemp, flax), and 1 tsp maple syrup.
Pho with bean sprout. Photo by hermitsmoores via Flickr.