Join our team as a digital marketing strategist
Join the city's most trusted local online-only news platform and become a force for progressive change in media.
For those who don't already know, The Vancouver Observer is a hyper local news site with global reach. The Vancouver Observer draws upon contributions from its vast pool of writers to provide timely, topical coverage on issues that concern its target audience – Vancouver citizens. From city politics to climate change, celebrities to immigrant issues, the Vancouver Observer provides independent local coverage that fills the gap left by large, corporate-owned media.
You are an excellent communicator, with strong management and media/marketing skills. Your undergraduate (or, ideally, graduate) degree is in marketing, business or another related discipline and you have had some experience in sales. As well, you will have shown an ability to lead. And — yes, you are this multi-talented — you have a knack for writing well, networking and pulling together compelling presentations on a tight deadline. You're a strong public speaker, enjoy working with people and know Vancouver like the back of your hand.
This is a contract position, based in Vancouver, reporting to Linda Solomon, the publisher. VO offers a flexible schedule and base level contract compensation, plus commissions on all sales.
We welcome your cover letter and resume at [email protected] by Nov. 30, 2011. Your cover letter should explain why you are qualified for this job, outlining both your experience and measurable accounts of your success in marketing and sales. Please quote sales job in the subject line and articulate your interest and how you meet the role criteria.
Digital marketing strategist
Contract position, Vancouver based.
The Digital Marketing strategist reports to the Publisher.
The Digital Marketing Specialist is a member of the Public Affairs and Communications Department who works closely with the Publisher and ad sales team. As well, this individual serves ads, manages accounts, and works with clients on creating promotional packages that drive business and build brands.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with businesses in Vancouver and throughout B.C.
- Advises Publisher on ad sales strategies to maximize revenue and bring excellent service and results to clients;
- Guides and reports on ad sales strategies and manages planning and reporting;
- With ad sales team defines VO's key audiences, potential clients, and develops contacts and relationships that lead to partnerships and sales.
- Oversees systems for the integration of ad serving and support across all projects and activities: shared calendar, updates for Publisher, etc.
- Monitors key media and works to ensure VO is pursuing all opportunities;
- Develops relationships with marketing directors in companies throughout city
- Social networking maven, using digital engagement to build relationships and brand awareness
- Team and brand management: contributes to planning and building VO's brand
Qualifications and skills:
Education and experience
An undergraduate (or ideally graduate) degree or equivalent is required. Demonstrable skills in sales preferred. The successful candidate will undergo a sales training course along with VO's sales team starting in January to become aligned with VO brand and sales strategies.
Skill set and qualities
- Personal values well-aligned with those of VO: demonstrated through work or community involvement;
- Excellent communication skills: personal and public. Strengths as negotiator and facilitator; ability to help resolve conflicts;
- Superb English-language skills, including ability to write quickly, clearly and strategically, with appropriate styles for different audiences;
- Solid media knowledge and experience — you understand news and can develop, write and pitch;
- Good team-player who thrives in a busy, changing, information-rich work environment.