Mother's Day ideas for every type of mom
Don’t forget, May 13, 2012, is Mother’s Day. Sometimes we forget just how amazing she is every day of the year. So take this opportunity to remind her that you appreciate all the things she does for you from teaching you how to bake Yorkshire pudding to babysitting when your boss drags you into work on a Saturday. Forget the homemade Mother's Day gifts, treat your mother to one of these special Mother's Day gift ideas.
Mother's Day Ideas
The artsy mom
- Get in touch with your creative side at Raw Canvas. Spend an afternoon creating a masterpiece for one another or perhaps some portraits. Share a medium canvas for the price of a small while enjoying a platter of tasty charcuterie and sipping some Shiraz.
- Spend some quality time together at the Vancouver Art Gallery. The VAG is doing a "special entrance" deal on Mother’s Day. Bring your mom with you to the Gallery and she gets in free. The gallery's current collection includes Beat Nation Art and Aboriginal Culture, Canadian painting from the 1960s, and work by Emily Carr and Kota Ezawa. When you’re done admiring and dissecting the artwork, drop by the Gallery Cafe for a glass of wine and some lunch or an early dinner.
The classy mom
- Do high tea right by dressing up with everything from the fancy hats down to the perfect pumps and pearls. Indulge in some exotic teas, fancy sandwiches and decadent cakes at the Fairmont Hotel (900 West Georgia St).
- The Urban Tea Merchant (1070 West Georgia St) is offering a Mother’s Day Tea Service for $48 which includes a tea-infused Champagne cocktail, an assortment of finger sandwiches and dessert.
The easy-to-please mom
- Let mom sleep in and take her out for brunch! Cafe Medina on (556 Beatty St) serves a mean brunch. Mom will have her choice of Boulettes, Fricasse, Cassoulet or Cafe Medina’s classic waffles.
- Twisted Fork Bistro (1147 Granville St) is also a great brunch choice. Spoil your mom with some decadent brioche French toast or a scrumptious croquet monsieur. It’s Mother’s Day, so why should she have to choose between going out for lunch or breakfast when she can have both?
The pampered mom
- Relax your mother into a state of deliriously delicious bliss. Book a spa package with Absolute Spa (1015 Burrard St.) to spend a day with mom getting your nails done, a couple of facials and of course a coma-inducing massage. Absolute offers a variety of spa packages and each comes with a little snack at the end. There’s also a comedy club in the hotel if your mom enjoys a good laugh.
- The Spa at the Wedgewood Hotel (845 Hornby St) also offers some great packages to spoil mom with. Perhaps a nice Chocolat Vanilla body treatment with Vanilla brown sugar body scrub and a chocolate crème lotion, or throw in a bit of bling with a gemstone facial with micronized crystalline gemstones.
The has-exquisite-taste-in-food mom
- If your mom has a weakness for French food, try Bistrot Bistro (on 1961 West 4th Avenue) for a $28 three-course menu or the quaint little le Gavroche (on 1616 Alberni Street) if her tastes a bit more expensive for a $49 four-course meal.
- For some fine seafood with a view, try C Restaurant (1600 Howe St). Their Cocktail Tasting Menu includes six courses including “Tipsy Goose,” “Bubbles and Caviar” and braised veal cheek poutine.
Have you got more great Mother's Day ideas? Tweet me at @vcyee1088 or comment below.