Strongbow-battered onion rings
A couple days ago I was sent a recipe for beer-battered onion rings using fava flour. I decided to adapt this recipe with the ingredients I had on hand, and Sunday afternoon I made gluten-free Strongbow-battered onion rings. Genius.
I love onion rings, they’re one of the things I really miss from before being gluten-free. Add some Strongbow into the mix, and I’m a happy girl.
Strongbow Battered Onion Rings (gluten and dairy free)
1 cup Strongbow cider
1 cup brown/white rice flour mix
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp garlic powder
½ tsp chili powder
oil, for frying
1 medium onion, sliced into rings
1. Heat oil over medium heat in small pot.
2. In small bowl combine dry ingredients.
3. Add Strongbow to dry ingredients
4. Adjust consistency as needed with Strongbow
5. Bread onion rings and fry, a few at a time, not overcrowding the pot
6. Remove onion rings when the batter is a light golden brown
7. Keep onion rings warm while frying the rest of the rings
I had trouble with these rings at first, until I had the consistency right with the breading. They turned out really crispy, and just like I remembered.
Adjust the seasoning in the breading as desired, and don’t leave the rings too long, as they can go a bit soggy after a while.