While most cocktails are anything but healthy, the following drinks will convince you otherwise. Vancouver’s top bartenders are breaking out the ginseng and crafting good-for-you cocktails with wholesome ingredients like natural sweeteners, fruits and essential oils. Our top picks:
• Chambar. All of Chambar’s drinks are low in sugar and crafted from fresh ingredients – but for a real kickstart to your evening, try The Bellevue Hotel. This protein-packed brew is made with egg white, nut tea-infused gin, cinnamon and fig.
• OPUS Hotel. Cocktails infused with essential oils take centre stage at the trendsetting OPUS, creating tasty libations that are also natural aphrodisiacs and mood enhancers. All-star drinks include The Opusition (fresh grapefruit juice, brut and poached pineapple) and the Eve Mojito (Bacardi, mint and peppermint oil).
• The Keefer Bar. The Keefer Bar’s intricately designed cocktail menu focuses on apothecary-style drinks created to soothe ailments and balance one’s mood. After a stressful day, relax with a glass of Borager's Cup (ginger, redcurrant YunZhi Syrup, Borage leaf, Peychaud's Bitters with a splash of gin).
• Market by Jean-Georges. Few and fresh ingredients are the hallmark of Market’s inventive cocktail list. Top picks include the BC Blueberry Sangria (white wine, house-made blueberry syrup and ginger beer) and the Lychee Raspberry Bellini (both fruits mixed with cava).
• Herons West Coast Kitchen. The Fairmont Waterfront’s signature restaurant goes above and beyond the 100-mile diet with its invigorating Honey Collins. The 180-calorie refresher features hand-pressed basil from the hotel’s rooftop garden, honey from its resident bees and a splash of gin.